Nonprofit organizations that benefit individuals living in southern Maine may request support by applying for a responsive grant. The Sam L. Cohen Foundation uses a two-step online application. Before applying, please review the Foundation's grant-making guidelines, as well as the application process, deadlines, and full instructions below.
Contact the Foundation staff if you would like to discuss a proposed project or have any questions about the application process.
|Cycle||Initial Inquiry||Full Application||Decision|
|Spring||Dec. 1 - Jan. 15||March 1||June|
|Fall||Jun. 1 - Jul. 15||September 1||November|
Deadlines that fall on a weekend or holiday are extended to the next work day.
STEP 1: INITIAL INQUIRY
The Foundation will accept initial inquiries online. The initial inquiry allows the Foundation to determine whether or not your time would be well spent pursuing a grant from us. All applicants need to submit an initial inquiry, even those who have received a grant previously. We will send a response to your inquiry by email within two weeks after the January 15 or July 15 deadline. If you do not receive a response, it is the applicant's responsibility to follow up with the Foundation.
STEP 2: FULL APPLICATION
If your proposed request aligns with the Foundation’s grant-making interests, you will be invited to submit a Full Application through the online system. Please note that the invitation to submit a Full Application does not guarantee that a grant request will be funded (see Application Review Process). After submitting the application it is the applicant’s responsibility to notify the Foundation immediately, but no later than the grant meeting of the directors, if there is a substantive change related to the information in the application, including a major change in the project, or a change in leadership, structure, or finances of the organization.
THE DOCUMENTS YOU'LL NEED BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- List of Board of Directors. Please include employment and/or community affiliations.
- Most recent financial statement - either a Financial Audit, Balance sheet, or Statement of Financial Position.
- Organization operating budget - please include:
- current fiscal year budgeted revenue and expenses;
- previous fiscal year budgeted;
- previous fiscal year actual. Please visit News & Resources for examples and templates.
- Detailed project budget. This is required for nonoperating support requests. The budget should include projected expenses and sources of committed and anticipated revenue. Note specific sources and amounts of any pending funding requests. A budget narrative may be included as needed.
- 501(c)(3) IRS determination letter. This is required for all first time 501(c)(3) applicants or if using a fiscal agent.
- Letters of agreement and/or support - if applicable include a letter of support from the collaborating organization(s). Requests to work with schools should include a letter from the school. If you have multiple letters they can be combined and submitted as one document.
WHEN YOU ARE READY, CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT:
If your organization is new to the online system, click the Create Account button below. You will be prompted to enter an e-mail address and password for your organization’s account. An automated e-mail will be sent to you with your account password. After creating an account, the system sends you to a new application. Each organization should create only one account in order to maintain a history of all applications submitted to the Sam L. Cohen Foundation. Be sure to monitor the account e-mail, as it will be used for all notifications from the Foundation.
WHEN YOU ARE READY, CREATE A NEW APPLICATION:
If your organization already has an account, click the Letter of Inquiry button below to start the application process. You will be prompted to enter the e-mail and password for your organization’s account. There is an option for accessing a forgotten password.
You will be prompted to enter your Tax ID. The first page to appear for a new application is the Eligibility Screening. Please answer the questions to confirm you are eligible to apply to the Foundation and to move on to the next step.